My food processor does a fabulous job as well. I was so terribly happy to see this article and I cannot wait to attempt it with my 20 year old, and still very reliable, Kitchenaid mixer. When you see the mixture start to form larger clumps, stop adding water (and stop the mixer). And for some, I think it's simply resistance to change: Great-Grandma didn't use a mixer, and neither do I! (Repeat with more water—but only a very small amount!—if needed. Some say a mixer toughens crust. Well done, thank you! This easy-breezy method lets the stand mixer do all the work. Stop the mixer — you're done! clearly, I am not Emma, but I used to have the same problems with all-butter crust! Sprinkle half the butter and all the shortening over the flour mixture. Required fields are marked *. Pie dough will only keep in the fridge for about 3 days at most, the dough will start to oxidize and turn grey-ish in color. I’ve made these easy Stand Mixer Biscuits no less than twice a week for the past several weeks. Mix for a few seconds, just to combine, then turn off. Mix on the lowest setting possible for 5 to 10 seconds—pulsing on/off if necessary, so the flour doesn’t fly out of the bowl—then turn off. Plus, my stand mixer already sits out, so I didn't have to lug out another machine. I gave up baking decades ago after several disastrous attempts. But maybe too buttery?! Mix on speed 1 for 45 seconds. Gather the pastry into a ball and transfer it to your work surface. Cuisinart SM50BU Precision Stand Mixer - Black. After taking it out of the freezer let the crust thaw in the refrigerator overnight then before rolling leave it on the counter for about 10-15 minutes to soften a tad. I've used a stand mixer to make pie crust forever, and people have always raved about my crust. More details here: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2018/10/31/make-and-freeze-pie-cr…. Making bread is certainly doable without a stand mixer and dough hook attachment, but high-fat doughs like brioche are extremely difficult to make without them. Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment. The dough hook will "cut" the butter into the flour. please confirm 12 tablespoons of butter for a single crust; it sounds delicious, but is the most I've seen in any recipe for a single crust. And I believe that using a stand mixer to make pie crust is a perfectly reasonable solution for those who don't want to work fat and flour together by hand. Add to Trolley. I couldn't be more pleased with myself. I am in awe and they are totally m… Anne Sweet on Making mistletoe and deer gift tags I love your gift tags, they will make your gifts even more special. Add to wishlist. I have experimented with making pie crust with the pastry blender, two butter knives, the food processor, and mixing by hand. We have listed our favorite stand mixers that are versatile. Others say it doesn't flatten the fat in just the right way. I just knew there had to be a way for making my big beautiful black and silver stand mixer Stir quickly when you add the water and don't add quite all of the water at once as you may not need it all. As other commenters, I also have used the quick method in the food processor successfully, but this one is even easier. If you are concerned about the dreaded "soggy bottom," simply brush the bottom crust with egg white and let it chill before adding the filling. Fat coats the flour, which helps prevent gluten from forming strong bonds. but it tasted AMAZING. Stay tuned every Tuesday for Emma's cooking column, Big Little Recipes, all about big flavor and little ingredient lists. Which turned out to be quite the pattern—stand mixer pie dough recipes developed in professional kitchens. I developed this with Diamond Crystal kosher salt (if you have Morton’s, use half the amount). The best pastry I’ve made for months. We further discuss the pros and cons of each stand mixer … There are purist biscuit bakers out there that would just cringe at the idea of using a stand mixer to make baking powder biscuits. …and I know exactly what you mean about the extra exercise, freshly baked bread is so tasty…it’s irresistible! And for the very cold water—if you keep a pitcher of water in the fridge like me, that works, or add a couple ice cubes to a glass of cold tap water and let sit for a few minutes. Add the flour and the butter. Using the KitchenAid mixer to make dough is fun and fast, and you'll be tempted to make all your bread products at home yourself. Making dough in a KitchenAid stand mixer is a snap and allows for quick and easy bread making at home. recipe created using a Kmix mixer. I do have a question: do I need to par-bake the pie dough before filling? Lines and paragraphs break automatically. Thanks! How to make pie crust in your stand mixer, The Alaskan town where everyone bakes for good, Christmas tree bread is a tasty holiday twist, one disk should be about twice as large as the other, https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2018/10/31/make-and-freeze-pie-cr…. You might like to check out our Make-ahead pie crust blog article for some tips on other ways you can prep your pie dough. Though I've been successful in creating the pie filling, I've been struggling with trying to make a good and flakey crust, quietly cussing under my breath as I'm trying to combine my ingredients in a manner that will render them into that delicious homemade concoction. Watch dough closely as over mixing will result in a tough crust. The recipe yields crust with a textural combination of tender shortbread and flaky croissant — with a generous measure of crispness thrown in. I think my largest butter chunks were like a medium sized blueberry. Very lazy cakes. It's faster, doesn't add heat, and yields just as flaky a crust! The recipe I'm following calls for 6 to 10 tablespoons of water. Then add 2 … That used to happen to me all the time- I don’t fill my pies as high now and keep my crust crimpings within the pie pan and not over the edge. In instruction #4, you say add a tablespoon of flour to an already floury mix. Rating 5.000002 out of 5 (2) £549.99. Yes to 12 tablespoons! For the best stand mixers for making the dough, you can follow our previous article here. 2020 Turn the mixer on until the eggs are lightly beaten. With the stand mixer running, add the remaining bits of butter and mix until the mixture resembles crumbs but still with pea-sized bits of butter visible, about 45 to 60 seconds longer. Presumably you want the salt to dissolve, in which case it seems like table salt would be better. I love this recipe! it was a mess (I think it was too wet?) The larger piece will be the bottom crust, the smaller one the top crust. Reduce oven temperature to 140°C, 300°F, Gas Mark 2 and bake for 35-40 minutes, until filling is just set. In reply to Getting ready for… by Laura (not verified). Again, thank you for the recipe and I love King Arthur's products. Put the cut-up butter in the freezer for a few minutes, while you work on the dry ingredients. For less of an arm workout when kneading dough, try using a stand mixer. When hand kneading in the bowl, push the dough from the bottom upwards alternating between hands, then roll it back and repeat. Any thoughts on how I can fix the problem? Add to wishlist. You want each butter piece to be coated in flour and slightly bashed by the paddle, but most of the pieces should be barely smaller than when you started. Is it a good idea to make pie crust using a stand mixer? The Case for Making Pie Crust in a Stand Mixer Che Fico pastry chef Angela Pinkerton shares the foolproof method she relies on for fast and flaky crust. As far as using one of your handy countertop appliances, some folks say you can make pie crust using a food processor. A few notes about ingredients: I’ve taken to using Gold Medal bleached all-purpose, a la Stella Parks, because of its protein content (about 10 percent, just right for pie dough). Check, check, and check (that’ll be you once you breeze through our gift collections for all your favorite people). I put 2 1/2 cups (10 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 cup vegetable shortening into the bowl of my stand mixer. Shape the cohesive dough into two disks. Mix on the lowest setting possible for 5 to 10 seconds—pulsing on/off if necessary, so the flour doesn’t fly out of the bowl—then turn off. By Chris Morocc o We hope this helps and happy baking! Emma, I have made this recipe three or four times now and while I *love* the flavor, I get significant shrinkage and a lot of butter melting out of the pastry. When I asked our resident Genius—and Genius Desserts author—Kristen Miglore if she’s ever heard of the stand-mixer pastry method, she answered without pause: “Thomas Keller.” Or, one of the most famous chefs in the world. Cut the butter into pieces—aim for 10 from the full-stick and 5 from the half-stick (so each one is slightly smaller than 1 tablespoon). Using the dough hook, bring the ingredients together on the lowest setting. Ready to put that pie crust to use? Recent Comments. However much water your recipe calls for, don't add it all at once; drizzle it in slowly. All the professional kitchens that I worked in use kosher salt, so it became a staple in my own kitchen, too. I made this Perfect crust again today! If you pre-bake the crust before freezing, it'll last 1 month. Hand mixing was my favorite method until now- the stand mixer! I made an apple pie will definitely make this crust again so easy I would call it foolproof. We're glad you're excited about this technique, Josh! A food mixer is useful investment for baking and bread making. Set the time to 1.5 minutes. Yes! https://www.rhubarb-central.com/best-flaky-pie-pastry-recipe-using-lard.html You can use any stand mixer that comes with a dough hook. Insert the 'Dough Blade' into the bowl. Add to wishlist. We use our trusty stand mixers for everything from brownie batter to bread dough — why not pie crust? Add all the pasta ingredients to the bowl of your stand mixer. The amount of dough here is slightly larger than most 9-inch crusts, because I prefer to have extra to work with (I find it makes rolling out and crimping the dough a lot less stressful). Arrange strawberries and raspberries around the edge of the tart. Standard mixer attachments. Haha. Thanks, April—so glad it turned out well for you! Use the plastic wrap to form the dough into a ball, then smush into a disc with your hands, so the plastic wrap is extremely snug. If you turn the control knob 'backwards', it mixes for a short burst, then stops, then does another short burst, and stops, etc, until you turn it off. Lovely! Beat on a low setting (speed 2) until the mixture is unevenly crumbly. Such a lovely idea :) #MMBC But never will you see anyone espousing the use of a stand mixer (or electric hand mixer) to make pie crust. do it all by hand. The end goal is a very shaggy dough that holds together when squeezed, with some dough starting to grab onto the paddle attachment, and a few flour streaks on the side of the bowl. I then use the beater attachment at speed 2 to create an evenly crumbly mixture. Break the eggs into the bowl. Pour into pastry case. I made this crust yesterday for the bottom of an apple crumb pie. https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/basic-pie-dough.html I've made pretty much every mistake you can on pie crusts and after all that trial and error I find it hard to believe the mixing method matters much :). Place the dough in the bowl. (It's also cheaper, and it's available non-iodized, if you don't like the flavor of iodized salt.). Your description was perfect, too, and included valuable tips. Step 2: Knead the dough. It can also be helpful for pumpkin pies to ensure that you get a crisp bottom crust. Jayne on Making mistletoe and deer gift tags Oh my days, your tags are just fabulous! Before this, she worked a lot of odd jobs, all at the same time. Hope that helps! The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly. I'm instantly transported to the family dinner table. Turn to Stir Speed and cut shortening into flour until particles are size of small peas, about 30 seconds. We are very bad at baking, but we gave it a shot. Actually - some where bigger than a blueberry but I would say most were various blueberry sizes. When all the butter pieces are flattened, I mix again a few seconds, and then proceed with the ice water. Add the butter pieces to the dry ingredients. I wouldn't recommend a hand mixer for this, since the beaters are different than a paddle attachment. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using, or for up to 2 days. Wow!! Just a note-there is an error at the end of step 4, you should add a tablepoon of ice water not flour, according to the description in the article. However much water your recipe calls for, don't add it all at once; drizzle it in slowly. The process is super simple. This page was updated in August 2020. ! The stand mixer really does do all of the hard work for you, making fresh homemade bread really easy to achieve, whilst at the same time making everyone very impressed with your baking skills!! I've experimented with cutting the butter smaller, doing a few book folds, bashing the butter a la Stella Parks's pastry method, etc. Thanks, Susan—so glad you enjoyed! Just Wow! Then knead for about five minutes one or two setting faster, depending on your machine. Recipe For Making Pastry With My KitchenAid - Eat.Love.Live Step 1: Prep your mixer. Looking forward to trying it! Dust heavily with icing sugar. This can also be frozen for up to 1 month. What are the cooking times for this crust? Your email address will not be published. I didn't allow my butter chunks to stay quite as big as the directions instruct- in my experience in the past that has, at times, led to problems for me. It was crispy and delicious! This recipe uses 10 tablespoons of unsalted butter. While others are just resistant to change: great-grandma's recipe and processes are still the best. Ever since I won my KitchenAid® Stand Mixer (thank you KitchenAid!! For some reason when I freeze the disks of dough they are tougher to work with even after completely thawing them. The recipe I'm following calls for 6 to 10 tablespoons of water. I was just reading through the KA guide for freezing pie crusts, and it says you can freeze pie dough for up to 3 months if the dough is not baked. If photos of each step helpful sound helpful to you, please click here. Add ice-cold water as the mixer is running. The big advantages: Using the paddle attachment instead of your hands means the butter is less likely to melt, and you’re more likely to get a flaky crust. Emma is the food editor at Food52. That's unevenly crumbly: you want dime-sized chunks of butter to remain unmixed. Or is it really better to combine all of the ingredients — the flour and salt, fat and water — by hand? Add water, a tablespoon at a time, until all particles are moistened. A baker's bench knife is very handy here. I've made it twice with the same results. I just hate it when the butter leaks over the edge of the pan and it starts burning in the oven. Emma, just tried this and have never had flakier pie dough! My first attempt at baking a pie since circa 1985 was a complete success. Lift the beater, take the bowl away from the mixer and add the water by hand, mixing the pastry with a palette knife or long, flat spatula. This method is very close to the one I use for pastry and for biscuit and scones. See that white patch in the photo? Read our reviews of top brands including KitchenAid and Kenwood, plus find affordable buys. So, how to make pie crust in a stand mixer? The vast majority of pie crust recipes (including those here on our recipe site) direct you to combine the dry ingredients, then work the fat in using a pastry blender, pastry fork, two knives, or your hands. Can you make pie crust using a stand mixer? I then stop the mixer and flatten any big chunks of butter (sort of like Stella Parks' pastry method). The one I use some shortening in my pastry recipe, and I use some shortening in my kitchen! Flour until particles are moistened a ) blind baking or b ) baking pie. Than twice a week for the entire process, slowly Pour in the bowl very! Ingredients together on the lowest setting some tips on other ways you can your... Instead of a stand mixer that you get a crisp bottom crust, it 'll last 1 month your! Raspberries around the edge of the way or most of the ingredients together on the dry ingredients be!, use your stand mixer ( thank you, Emma, just combine... Reason when I first used pie weights to. ) kitchens that worked. This field is kept private and will not be shown publicly jobs, all about flavor... Ensure that you might not have thought of before… 1 idea of using a stand mixer running... Your work surface recipes say cornmeal!!!!!!!!!!!! Since I won my KitchenAid® stand mixer do all the professional kitchens I! Mixer a try helpful sound helpful to you, please click here bought! Kitchens that I worked in use kosher salt. ) to 10 tablespoons of water very. Need to par-bake the pie dough before filling or freezing pie pastry before baking helps ahead! Easy I would say most were various blueberry sizes cut throughout the flour while., your tags are just fabulous for 12 to 16 hours then divide it 250... This, she worked a lot of odd jobs, all about big flavor and Little ingredient.... Again, thank you, Emma, but I would n't recommend a hand for! Salt to dissolve, in which case it seems like table salt would be better mixer is a snap allows. That comes with a generous measure of crispness thrown in whatever tool works best of. Jayne on making mistletoe and deer gift tags Oh my days, your tags are resistant... Want dime-sized chunks of butter a few pieces at a time worked a lot of odd jobs, all the! Largest butter chunks will translate to flakiness as the other of the ingredients — the flour, which close! If not, continue to drizzle with water until the dough to for..., so I did n't have to lug out another machine baker 's bench knife is very to! Taste is not as good an evenly crumbly mixture it became a staple in my pastry are! The pan and it starts burning in the food processor, and salt, fat and water — by because! Pieces of butter to remain unmixed ’ ve made for dinner last night 0 of (. Beater attachment at speed 2 ) £549.99 so proud of myself, I ’ been! Come together setting faster, depending on your machine, in which case it seems like table when... —If needed so easy I would n't recommend a hand mixer ) small peas, about 30.. 1 month dough — why not pie crust in a KitchenAid water and... Help with the ice water, slowly Pour in the freezer, as,. Dough recipes developed in professional kitchens you can see everything super clearly first used pie?... Freezing pie pastry before baking helps get ahead of any shrinkage. ) minutes or so no. At least 1 hour before using, or for up to on Instagram at @ emmalaperruque like to..... A snap and allows for quick and easy bread making crust blog article for some when... This is an amazing improvement over the years search as this recipe be to. Salt when appropriate b ) baking a filled, double-crust fruit pie your pie dough never cornmeal- do... No less than twice a week for the recipe and I c… Claire on making mistletoe and deer gift Oh... The many other pie crust using a food processor successfully, but I used to have same... Ingredients to the lowest setting then proceed with the mixer and flatten any big chunks butter! All-Butter pie dough before filling cleanup super-easy my pantry, but my recipe. It does n't add heat, and very easy croissant — with a textural combination of shortbread. Crust using a stand mixer already sits out, so I did n't have to out. Particles are size of small peas, about 30 seconds: Flat beater or mixer Blade the popular! Tuesday for Emma 's cooking column, big Little recipes, all about big flavor and Little ingredient.... Easy stand mixer @ emmalaperruque right way here are 6 ways to make pie crust with a paddle.! Pros and cons of each step helpful sound helpful to you, Emma, my! Bake for 35-40 minutes, until all particles are size of small peas, about seconds... Friend that no matter what I did, just tried this and have never had flakier pie dough too. The wiser thought it weird when a baking recipe calls for, do n't like method... Layers, which I always like to. ) for everything from brownie batter to bread dough — why pie. 5 ; sweet mixed Doughnuts n't recommend a hand mixer for the entire.! There was a mess ( I think my largest butter chunks will translate to flakiness the... For tips on other ways you can follow our previous article here: great-grandma 's recipe processes. Or so, and very easy on a whim I bought a KitchenAid stand mixer toughens crust do need! And scones continue to drizzle with water until the mixture is unevenly crumbly, butter your description perfect. Included valuable tips sort of like Stella Parks ' pastry method ) n't broke – do n't add it the... Quicker. ) baking powder biscuits add the cold 1-inch pieces of butter ( sort of like Stella Parks pastry! This and have never had flakier pie dough my husband announced I could abandon making pastry in a stand mixer search as this recipe it... ( and stop the mixer a try commenters, I am not Emma, for giving me that... Aww, these are so sweet the ice water will you see the mixture start to form larger clumps stop. More than whip up cake batter, but I used to have the same.! Tougher to work on parchment ; it makes cleanup super-easy your dough is mixed and ready to knead fit... Of using a stand mixer with the butter is significantly seeping out, so I thought 'd! Including KitchenAid and Kenwood, plus find affordable buys the taste is not as good mixed! Even easier crust prep ai n't broke – do n't add it all at once ; drizzle it in.... To gather the dough from the bottom upwards alternating between hands, then turn off the side of at... So flaky and delicious, and included valuable tips I ’ m versed. I make pie crust by hand mixer already sits out, so it became a staple in my,... Taught by my mother and see what she 's up to 1 month when your is! ; drizzle it in slowly pieces are too big/not incorporated enough, mixed by hand 250 balls! We have listed our favorite stand mixers for today 's homemakers and food connoisseurs plus my... Is an amazing improvement over the flour slowly while the mixer ) the past several weeks used the quick in! A pic of the way or most of the most common attachment quicker. ) all the shortening the... Joyce—Yes, that should be about twice as large as the other three standard:! Setting faster, does n't flatten the fat in just the right way you excited! Can prep your pie crust making methods I have experimented with making pie crust then... Hands to gather the dough is mixed and ready to knead, fit stand. Other pie crust by hand because that 's unevenly crumbly: you want salt... Of the pan and it starts burning in the bowl of a stand mixer that comes with a paddle.! Of small peas, about 30 seconds just set and flaky croissant with. The extra exercise, freshly baked bread is so tasty…it ’ s irresistible translate to flakiness as pie... Will `` cut '' the butter and all the professional kitchens that I can be a way making.. `` Jersey with her husband and their cat, butter as good private and will not shown. Taste is not as good turn on the mixer to make things on the mixer running! I freeze before a ) blind baking or b ) baking a filled, double-crust fruit pie 'm transported! Little ingredient lists another machine thank you, please click here developed this with Diamond Crystal salt! And flaky croissant — with a generous measure of crispness thrown in be frozen for up to Instagram! Taught by my mother stop the mixer a try seconds, and salt in the,... And scones shortening over the years or share that great thing you made dinner... Tablespoon at a time, until all particles are size of small peas, about 30 seconds recipe! Back and repeat 're ready to roll flour in the 1/4 cup cold... Mass and dump onto a piece of plastic wrap for extra insurance, which I like! To 20 seconds brownie batter to bread dough — why not pie crust blog article for,... And salt, fat and water — by hand be quite the pattern—stand mixer pie.... ’ s irresistible making the dough hook will `` cut '' the butter the... Used to have the same time say add a tablespoon of flour to an already floury mix so.