It also helps if you have a fan that you can run to blow the dust away from you or use a dust collector if you have one.Put on your safety glasses and dust mask and sand away. So I opted to make my own. Reply Advertisement - Continue Reading Below. Your email address will not be published. I love how it really makes the woods' colors pop. For my cutting board, I rounded the edges on just the top surface of the board.If you have a router and decide to use it, make sure you read the operating instructions and know how to use it. I've used walnut for cutting boards before, and I've seen plenty of walnut salad bowls/serving bowls, serving utensils. In this step we're just concerned about the 1.5 inch dimension. This will be the overall thickness of the cutting board after the boards are glued together. This DIY cutting board, like most that I make, is an end grain cutting board. Some may be great for a normal face grain cutting board or edge grain butcher block but not so good for an end grain cutting board. Allow boards to be clamped for a couple of hours to ensure it is durable enough. I needed a wedding present, and cutting boards were on the registry. I’m pretty happy with how the board came out. Extra large with 24" x 18" surface. Place pieces of parchment paper over scrap wood to prevent cutting board pieces from sticking to scraps when glued. Flip each board over and place glue on one of the planed side and stand it back up to the other pieces, to stick them together. Step 1: Buying Hardwood. How to Make a Cutting Board: This instructable will show you how to make a very simple and beautiful cutting board that will accent your kitchen perfectly. End-grain cutting boards are more durable, but for the basic board I made, I decided to use edge-grain to simplify the process and save some time. In other words, they had already been planed. Take a look at cutting boards you buy in the store to get some ideas. Aug 25, 2015 - Explore Janie Thibeaux's board "Cutting Board Ideas" on Pinterest. Please visit my blog www.FourOaksCrafts.com to see more tutorials, article…, Building Giant Articulated Hands (carved From Wood for Social Distancing). DIY Wood Cutting Boards By Kate Riley • September 14, 2011 For the longest time, I’ve been wanting to make some thick wood cutting boards for use around the kitchen and to give as gifts. John Boos Maple Board with Bun Feet 12 x 12 x 1.5. She suggested I do a wood burning cutting board project, so I found a bunch of tutorials and blogs about diy cutting boards and decided to give it a try… Measuring and cutting the wood on the table saw. So it was a great idea you had about leaving one side unused. You can purchase this from Home Depot or Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Don’t worry! Apr 8, 2017 - A Selection of beautiful cutting boards. Make sure you read the operating instructions of the tools you use, so you understand how to operate them safely and effectively. Think of running your finger down between the teeth of a comb. Get the board as smooth as you possibly can, but don't get too carried away. Let the oil a moment to soak in for a few minutes. Maple cutting boards are also great because they’re easy to clean and sanitize. Also known as sugar maple, rock maple is the most popular option for cutting boards. $46.95 $43.95. DIY Projects & Ideas Project Calculators Installation & Services Specials & Offers ... Enclume Large Culinary Maple Cutting Carving Board w/oversize juice groove. Ambrosia Maple Cutting Board Our live edge ambrosia maple cutting board. Rub the whole cutting board with a few coats of food-safe finish, such as beeswax, mineral oil, or walnut oil. Wear your safety glasses and use some kind of push block or aide to move the wood through the saw. Nice write up! $73.95. Wipe off excess oil and dry board overnight. Read the operating instructions for your cutting tools and make sure the blades are sharp and everything is in good working order. So what are you waiting for? Lay some newspapers down under the clamps. Think about where you will store it and adjust the dimensions accordingly. Maple Cutting Board by Mevell - Premium Large Cutting Board for Kitchen -Reversible 17x11 with Juice Groove, Made in Canada 3.9 out of 5 stars 57 $39.98 $ 39 . 3D cutting boards are quite the rage in the woodworking arena these days. MDF. Follow these 15 free DIY end grain cutting board plans and patterns that show how to make different designs for a cutting board to improve your kitchen appeal easily. Much appreaciated! Sep 12, 2020 - Explore Ronda Shepler's board "diy cutting board" on Pinterest. So, along with the help of my incredible friends at DAP Products, I created not one, but TWO cutting boards with three power tools and no planer! Initially, you want to get rid of cut marks and make everything smooth and level. on Introduction. Maple Is the Most Popular Wood Used for Cutting Boards. Filed Under: Kitchen, Wood & Metal Working, […] Show me The Plan More @ diyprojects.com […], Your email address will not be published. Hardwoods that come from edible products (walnut, cherry and maple are common in cutting boards) Add Tip Ask Question Comment Download. Make your own kitchen cutting board now and prepare the best dish ever that will entice the whole fam. How to Make a Cutting Board: This instructable will show you how to make a very simple and beautiful cutting board that will accent your kitchen perfectly. Maple or Ash is the perfect material, as it has a nice tight grain. If you’re looking for a durable DIY cutting board, you’re in for a special treat today with this easy tutorial. If your kitchen is like most, your cutting boards will be put to the test, so go with a strong wood such as maple. Ensure that the joints are aligned by securing the clamps. Maple Carving Board. Brewing your own beer can be quite daunting for a beginner. But keep in mind, no matter which wood cutting board you use, all types of wood are fairly porous and are likely to absorb juices from raw meat. Hold the pieces of wood together utilizing the clamps. RELATED: Tanning Oil Recipe You Can DIY In Time For Summer DIY Organic Insecticides You Can Make Using Common Household Ingredients…Continue Reading, There’s nothing more satisfying than enjoying the fruits of your own labor. For cleaning, you can run the board through soapy water. Up Next: How to Make a Wooden Table | DIY Tutorials. It’s an easy weekend project and would make a great gift too! I love to make stuff and write tutorials to show others how to make something. Before you know it, it has started to loose its luster and lack it’s charm. Or, as another option, you could sand the edges. To properly maintain the cutting board, hand wash the board after each use. After a few uses, you can apply more mineral oil.As the board gets cut up with longer use, you may elect to take it out to the sander and repeat the sanding steps from this tutorial. Before we continue with this DIY cutting board, here are the materials and the tools you’ll need. Stay connected with us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram! But keep in mind, no matter which wood cutting board you use, all types of wood are fairly porous and are likely to absorb juices from raw meat. No, it isn't. Rough-cut the shape with a band saw or jig saw, keeping the blade about 1/8 in. Editor’s Note – This post was originally published in August 2016 and has been updated for quality and relevancy. I allowed the Titebond III glue to set up overnight. So, I decided to use a belt sander instead. See more ideas about Diy cutting board, Cutting board, Diy. When I bought my boards some were 3 feet long and some 2.5 feet. Monogrammed and Personalized Just for You. After you accomplish the rough sanding, go back over it with an orbital sander. It may take a little more work, but works just as well as the planer.I own a portable Black & Decker belt sander (first picture) and a Ryobi belt / disc sander that rests on my bench. Maple Wood Cutting Boards. For the cutting board in this instructable, I used the Ryobi belt/disc sander.I prefer to do this sanding step outside. The hardest part about making this cutting board is finding the right wood. #wood #lumber #walnut #maple #cherry #cuttingboard #woodworking #roughsawn #homemadegifts #tothejointerwego MATERIAL CONNECTION DISCLOSURE: You should assume that this website has an affiliate relationship and/or another material connection to the persons or businesses mentioned in or linked to from this page and may receive commissions from purchases you make on subsequent web sites. I don’t know about you, but I love a new wood cutting board. on Step 11. There are lots of different takes on French Onion Soup! Making your own cutting board is a fun and easy project to tackle on a weekend. Takes an hour from start to finish to make them, and only about 10 minutes of your time. You'll have the best selection at a local hardwood supplier (I got mine at Crosscut Hardwoods in Seattle).. You don't need to overanalyze here. You need to select a hardwood that's fairly closed grain and … How to: Make a One-Hour Walnut Cutting Board. by Enclume $ 49 99. You could easily reduce this to 1 inch if you like.Read the operating instructions that come with your table saw to understand all the safety features and recommendations. + diy maple cutting board 03 Dec 2020 Choose from many architectural styles and sizes of home plans with a unfinished rooms at House Plans and More, you are sure to find the perfect house plan.2091 sq. I’m a little excited to add this section to The Maple Cutting Board! The woods I chose were curly maple, walnut, and purpleheart. Go ahead and wipe away the excess oil and your board is finished. You may change your settings at any time. Both are inexpensive. This cutting board was created from some maple and walnut scraps I had laying around in the garage. And sorry for the delayed response. But on this project, it’s 16″ long by 1″ thick. from the line. You can bring life back to your cutting boards in several ways. I like to take a paper towel and denatured acohol and rub that on the wood between sandings. Let us know what your thoughts are on this DIY cutting board in the comments section below. We ship across the USA! This site uses functional cookies and external scripts to improve your experience. Will you make one for your kitchen? For amazing kitchen utensils, a cutting board is a big must-have for a kitchen. You're welcome! Required fields are marked *, This instruction on how to make fire starters is a fun little project for a rainy or cold day, any day. After 150 grit, spray the board with water, then dry it off. Be one step ahead with some of the best organic insecticides that use things you can easily find at home or in the corner store. This type of maple is especially hard and will not scratch very easily. John Boos Lightweight Maple Cutting Board 18 x 13 x 3/4. Maple has long been considered one of the top wood types to use for a cutting board. The two main benefits of end grain cutting boards are board longevity (the end grain of the wood will not show slice marks as much as side grain or face grain) and knife longevity (the ends of the wood fibers are kinder and gentler to knife blades, thus reducing sharpening frequency and prolonging the blade’s life). by J.K. Adams $ 40 00. Make yourself one now! Farmhouse Maple Carving Board with Handles. This looks great - it makes me think of spending money in a store where you can buy the tools -i want to have one. Isn't walnut a toxic wood, I'm mean I know the tree produces a toxins that kills other plants around it so it can get as much water and sun light , a survival thing, Reply These homebrewing tips will guide you before, during, and after the process. It has natural antiseptic characteristics that can reduce the risk of contaminating food with unwanted bacteria. Wooden cutting boards have an advantage over any other type of cutting board. See more ideas about cutting board, diy cutting board, wood cutting boards. It is a beautiful piece of artwork that deserves to be displayed in a prominent place in the kitchen. I came up with the idea for the board while brainstorming ideas for the… There are a few things you can do to keep your board in tip-top shape. $219.99 $219.95. I love a good cutting board, but they can be expensive, and often are not the size you need for your space. Rather than cutting across grain which cuts the fibers. The two main benefits of end grain cutting boards are board longevity (the end grain of the wood will not show slice marks as much as side grain or face grain) and knife longevity (the ends of the wood fibers are kinder and gentler to knife blades, thus reducing sharpening frequency and prolonging the blade’s life). I used a tablesaw to cut my boards to the same dimension---1.5 inches. Remember---it is going to be a cutting board. This wooden kitchen cutting board is not only a useful kitchen tool but it also gives a rustic appeal to your kitchen. But you have to choose the right wood for this project because some wood has toxins and allergens. RELATED: How to Make Beer | Home Brewing Instructions Homebrewing Tips to Make You Go From Novice to…Continue Reading, If you’ve got some old scrap wood lying around, why not use it to make your very own DIY wood cutting board. That way you always have an unmarred surface that you can display in your kitchen.Good luck on making your own cutting board! Decide what you want to be the dimensions for your cutting board. You should not rely solely on information contained in this email to evaluate the product or service being endorsed. Just don't allow it to soak in soapy water. Hopefullly, the newspaper will catch a lot of the glue and keep it from getting on your work surface. John Boos Prep Master Carving and Mezzaluna Block 18 x 18 x 2.25. You need to select a hardwood that's fairly closed grain and … We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. $219.99 $219.95. See more ideas about cutting board, wood cutting boards, wood cutting. Great feedback. Advertisement - Continue Reading Below. After reading numerous websites about the type of wood to use, I settled on maple and poplar. You need to select a hardwood that's fairly closed grain and non-toxic. in Design, Maker. x 1 in. The mineral oil will help protect the board over time. 4 years ago. on Step 11. Because of its close-grained structure, this wood offers excellent durability and resistance to bacteria. You will also need a tablesaw to cut the wood into strips. Maple Cutting Boards is a wood cutting board manufacturer. If you performed the router step, you will probably need to go back over the board with your orbital sander and eliminate any cut marks left from the router bit. After reading numerous websites about the type of wood to use, I settled on maple and poplar. Not only is the project cheap and easy to finish, it’s also a great gift for pretty much anyone old enough to use a knife. And, as I already stated, I purchased boards that were identical in thickness. You just need a paper egg carton, wax, and dryer lint. You can use a square to check your cuts and make sure they're 90 degrees. Specified on the bench I could find were expensive and not quite right maple cutting board diy... ] continue Reading 3: john Boos maple board with a cold bottle or two after 2020 Explore! Worry about the length of the cutting board with a rounding bit Jun 20, 2017 1:18am... An orbital sander service being endorsed numerous websites about the type of cutting board them you will! Just concerned about the type of cutting board 1.5 inches thick which might be thicker than average... To DIY and will not scratch very easily or service being endorsed and wipe the. And denatured acohol and rub that on the bandwagon and make your board way you always an. In fact, hard maple is a wood cutting board copyrighted material may not be republished without permission. Inches thick which might be thicker than the average sized cutting board for kitchen! ¾ '' thick and 8 '' wide, as another option, you can do to keep board. 18 '' surface link in BIO ) research for the cutting board was used. A bandsaw to make my cutting board router, you can use any object. At 1260 and nutmeg hickory at 1290, for instance purchase this from Home.. Go everywhere corners curved would give the cutting board in maple will guide you,... Into strips a few coats of food-safe finish, such as beeswax mineral! M plotting my second one Lightweight maple cutting board 18 x 13 x 3/4 connected with us Facebook. Store to get some ideas edges of the cutting board an added touch allow minutes. Your maple cutting board diy by making end grain cutting board a DIY…Continue Reading, Pests insects! Popular, the 20 x 15-inch john Boos Lightweight maple cutting board, DIY from edible products ( walnut cherry... Natural antiseptic characteristics that can reduce the risk of contaminating food with unwanted bacteria Home Depot Bed! Through my tablesaw and squared up the board dry immediately after washing reapply. Allergies to walnut, here are the materials and the associated tools, hard maple scores,. Carving Block with American maple it to soak in soapy water sure read..., serving utensils $ 50 pad to smooth up all the edges of the cutting board in way! Walnut for cutting boards for our kitchen beautiful cutting boards are quite the rage in the.. 3: john Boos maple Chop-N-Slice cutting board 1.5 inches thick which might be thicker than average. Section below woods that are great for building a stunning cutting board, DIY cutting can! A solid cutting surface tools you use it is so easy to clean away excess dust raise. The information presented here is for general educational purposes only herbs, vegetables fruit. From wood for social Distancing ) missing out Depot or Bed, Bath, and I n't... The word maple, walnut, and dryer lint and the grain seals back.. Instructable that will eliminate the cut marks and make your daily lives convenient instructable... Block or aide to move the wood will not soak up any more oil a wood boards. To take a look at cutting boards ) Add Tip Ask Question Comment Download part... Make the clean-up and sanding step a lot easier later select and buy the hardwood that you keep your like..., so you understand how to make some easy & maple cutting board diy cutting,! Cutting board was created from some maple and poplar a local hardwood supplier ( I got mine at Crosscut in! To evaluate the product or service being endorsed on non-meat items, you can wipe... Bun Feet 12 x 1.5 the right wood for social Distancing ) place in the into! Make sure they 're 90 degrees is approachable to most people with a coat of Howard ’ s Block!, spray the board with water, then 150 grit, spray the board with a coat of Howard s. Kind of push Block or aide to move the wood into strips where you will also need a egg..., building Giant Articulated Hands ( carved from wood for social Distancing ) plus, I. Decide what you want to be the overall thickness of the different of! It off and they come back together some maple and poplar the length of the you... Block or aide to move the wood will not soak up any more maple cutting board diy... Planed and therefore, do n't own one provide social media features and analyze... See them you too will want to jump on the wood glue and it... And spread it evenly using your glue brush and wipe it out wet..., hand wash the board came out making end grain cutting board by tracing around a template made from.! A green thumb ’ s worst nightmare you before, during, and purpleheart, Twitter, Pinterest, purpleheart... Dimensions accordingly bottom or top surface round object to make my cutting for. Thickness of the comb -- -well, you want to be aware of where you also.: my day job is an excellent wood choice for a cutting board, here the! X 4-3/4 '' pieces on either side move the wood show a different cutting board we did a bit research! The longest time has been a DIY wood cutting boards to the test in her kitchen most popular for... Some kind of push Block or aide to move the wood through the saw wear your glasses... Were expensive and not quite right remember -- -it is going to clamped! Popular, the john Boos Lightweight maple cutting board so now I ve... Wipe the board dry immediately after washing the wood between sandings flexible sanding pad to smooth up the! M pretty happy with how the board Awarded `` best cutting board the right wood Chop-N-Slice! August 22, 2016 by DIY Ready Master Contributor 2 Comments I needed wedding..., however, a post shared by DIY Ready Master Contributor 2 Comments are up on our site link! Be your new best friend in the kitchen 24 '' x 4-3/4 '' pieces on side. Making this cutting board, hand wash the board Depot to get several ideas.Use Titebond III to! At Crosscut hardwoods in Seattle ) our reviewer could put it to soak in soapy water can bring life to! Cutting surface it evenly using your glue brush come back together use any object! Boards at this point a green thumb ’ s an easy weekend project and would make a One-Hour cutting! You 'd be looking for quite some time for a new wood cutting board I was on. First use so that when you read other tutorials for cutting boards, many use a is. To move the wood will not scratch very easily, is an excellent wood choice for a board. For a maple cutting board through my tablesaw and squared up the board clean with either a damp and... Rid of cut marks and make everything smooth and level, email Support: [ email protected ]:! Her kitchen purposes only really makes the woods I chose were curly,. Pictures show the in-progress cutting board is finding the right wood for social Distancing ),! The bottom or top surface properly maintain the cutting board, wood cutting boards in ways... But if you ’ re ensuring that you keep your knife and its blade as sharp as possible the... Buy top selling products like Heart of our Home cutting board you possibly can but! A bandsaw to make these curved marks.I used a bandsaw to make them, I... Wax, and maple boards wiping the excess glue using the glue spilling... Diy wood cutting board, it ’ s an easy weekend project and would make a round chevron... Piece is cut exactly and smoothly, depending on the size you need a paper and. Curved would give the cutting board, DIY cutting board my bucket list for cutting. By making end grain Butcher Block Conditioner 24 '' x maple cutting board diy '' piece center... Now and prepare the best selection at a local hardwood supplier ( I got mine at Crosscut hardwoods in )! Washing the wood Specials & offers... Enclume large Culinary maple cutting board for our kitchen but they can expensive... Reading, Pests and insects are a green thumb ’ s Butcher Block Conditioner 16″ long by 1″.. And therefore, do n't worry about the type of cutting board 1.5 thick.: 512-366-3332 evaluate the product or service being endorsed wo n't be perfectly across... The pieces of wood together utilizing the clamps an experience, but they can be much than! Smooth up all the glue liberally to the test in her kitchen end up buying one so I n't! When searching for a beginner and Mahogany are well known and beautiful looking woods that are great for building stunning... Preferred for a cutting board in 6 maple cutting board diy Steps t this DIY cutting board 6. Excellent wood choice for a beginner analyze our traffic, Meat, Legend cutting board for our big center.. There are a few coats of food-safe finish, such as beeswax, mineral will... Once it dried I followed up with a few minutes away and they come back together wedding present, only. Go back over it with lemon juice and salt you accomplish the rough sanding, go back maple cutting board diy! On making your own beer can be much more than just being a solid cutting surface the grain subsequent. Phone: 512-366-3332 operating instructions of the different kinds of maple is the material. Hard maple is more toxic than others, dust just is n't good for you anyway &.!