Worth the views! Communication is essential for students to be successful. Be prepared for a 5+ hour hike. 9/11/2017. I didn’t wear pants though, and my legs took quite the beating, just like others said! A nice side trip is to cross th… The maintenance road is … The trail is in pretty good shape, a couple areas along the way, I made hime stay close other than that it's a good family hike. Tons of water is necessary. A great hike up to Needles Ridge Line and then followed the ridge line over for an amazing view of HAFB, Ogden City, and Antelope Island. I’m happy I read the comment below before going because parts are an absolute must. You’ll also see a lot of songbirds along the way if you go in the summer. We attempted to keep going to where Malans intersects with Beus but snow turned us around.. should have brought spikes. It starts in a Gambel Oak/Canyon Maple forest, graduates into Aspen, changes again to a huge Jurassic Fern Field. ... Mt Ogden Café . More about Macabre Wall . The Beus Canyon segment runs from the east side of Ogden City up to a saddle just south of Mt Ogden … I brought my son up for his first Gondola ride and his first Peak Hike. I personally liked this route as compared to the trail going from Malans peak and through the basin. Ski Utah 101: Ogden Area Resorts - Duration: 2:22. Saw two rattlesnakes at higher elevation. The trail travels northwest and has a couple sweeping switchbacks to the saddle. The trailhead is signed. Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about. Fun & Games in Ogden. On all sides and in every direction were hikers, leg-weary and sore, pulling themselves up by every possible bush and shrub. Parents & Counseling. Loading... Unsubscribe from Erik Hutchins? I highly recommend wearing pants...legs took quite the beating. Your basically hiking on a road for this one. Access is also available from Trail 401. Some areas were tough but overall a great hike. This is an excellent trail for family hiking. If I were to hike to Mount Ogden again I would definitely take the Beus Canyon trail instead. South Ogden is covered in trails and parks but my favorites are the ones along the mountain. Ben Lomond, just north of Ogden, Utah, is a peak in the northern portion of the Wasatch Mountains.A popular trail passes over its summit (elevation 9,716 feet (2,961 m)), accessible from four different trailheads to the north, south, and east.. The hike took about 7 hours and saw one other person on the trail. Piles of rock, commonly called rock cairns, mark a route to the saddle south of Mount Ogden with its prominent radio tower. after a couple miles it gets really narrow and the branches rub against you with some of them being painful. SKIING Snowbasin MT OGDEN BOWL Trail Tales Erik Hutchins. The hike is through a closed canopy, with only glimpses of the Avon Valley. Signs of the city faded. Dogs are also able to use this trail. Have fun! Trailforks ranks trails with a combination of user ratings and raw trail usage data from rides. Mount Ogden is one of the higher and more prominent peaks in the northern Wasatch range. My brother has done both with me … At the saddle, take a break and enjoy the view of Snowbasin. Some very large radio towers and a small helicopter pad mark the summit. If … There is a parking area but no drinking water or restrooms. Easy to miss the last switchback over Brush creek before ascending the adjacent mountain side. Beautiful Views! Especially did the last thousand feet test the mettle of the little band. Great training hike for the Grand Canyon rim to rim run I plan to do this fall, but honestly, getting to Mt Ogden via Malans is more direct. At this saddle you can follow the summer access road into Snowbasin Resort Area. Enjoyed the views and it made for a good adventure. Ogden Mountain Trail is a very easy hike which follows the ridge line from Dalton Mountain to Ogden Mountain. LIFTS OPEN. Hiking trip report, map, and photos for Mount Ogden and DeMoisy Peak via Snowbasin, located in Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest, Utah. Information about Mount Ogden Park (Reservable) Mount Ogden Park (Reservable) View information about facilities in the community. On the other side of the meadow is the trailhead for Ogden Overlook. The panorama is incredible, with views of the Great Salt Lake, Snow Basin ski resort, Ogden Valley, and the Wasatch Range. Skip to Main Content. Amazing hike. great view of Snowbasin Ski resort on the other side. Beautiful views, but makes sure to start at a decent time so you dont get caught in the dark. A nice trail gets you much of the way to a ridgeline where you then have to bushwhack and take game trails to the summit. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. This strenuous trail is about 5.4 miles long (one way) with a 4453 foot elevation change. Bring crampons. A variety of trails can be used to access it's summit. This is a 11.9 mile loop hike with 4400 cumulative feet of elevation gain that takes about 5-7 hours to complete. An effective education takes place where there are strong partnerships between parents/guardians and the child’s class teacher(s). Smooth easier-technical six-mile alpine loop at mid-altitude, on the base of Mount Ogden. Trail Fee for Private Carts: $3: $6: Group Rates & Corporate Events. Trails in Ogden Valley tend to stay muddy for several days after rain. Great hike. The lower part of the trail is easy as it climbs to the mouth of Beus Canyon, where it intersects the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. Hiking » Bonneville Shoreline Trail Located in the Wasatch Mountains, Ogden’s trail system offers year-round adventure for hikers, bikers, & climbers. Bring lots of water too. Animal life consists of moose, wild turkey, grouse, deer, elk, rabbits, bobcat and fox. I went on 2 wrong routes the first two attempts, but finally conquered Mt. Weber County digital trail map can be found HERE. We logged 12.5 miles going up Beus and down Malan's Peak to the shoreline trail on 27th street. There are some carns along the way that help with navigating. Turn left at the saddle, and enter conifers. not too much cover one out of the canyon, so bring plenty of water and sunscreen. This peak, as well as the two others described below would be considered “dumpster diving peaks” because they aren’t very good climbs and the views are limited. Mount Ogden has an elevation of 9,579 feet (2,920 m). 218 photos. It's more difficult but at least you wouldn't be hiking on a road. It will take you 6+ hours so dress/ prepare accordingly. A couple of snow basin trucks passed me on the way up lol. The peak offers a number of hiking routes, as well as technical rock climbing routes on it's east face. My shins have a few scrapes from all the brush, but it's still worth it to wear shorts IMO. Snow is really no problem if you get off the trail and walk along the flatter ridge. Mount Ogden Trail (via Snowbasin Gondola) is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Huntsville, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. Sardine is near Mt. Ben Lomond, and Ben Lomond Mountain. Overnight Total: 0" Past 24 hrs: 4" Past 48 hrs: 8" Current Base: 28" Season Total: 59" MID-MOUNTAIN FORECAST. Made it to the summit of Mount Ogden! This meadow is locally known as Fern Valley, for obvious reasons. Explore the best trails in Ogden, Utah on TrailLink. Once heading up the mountainside, it’s again Gambel Oak and finally alpine grass/sage. The Beus trail toward Mt Ogden is the “Tour-de-Utah” of ecosystems. There was a couple of miles of bushwhacking a faint trail from the saddle to Malan's Basin. 7/12. East Fork Wheeler Creek Wheeler Creek Trail, Snowbasin Needles Trail via Porcupine Trail, Green Pond, Needles, Maples and Middle Fork Loop, Mount Ogden Trail (via Snowbasin Gondola). The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Mount Ogden sits prominently to the east of the community of Ogden, and sits directly behind Weber State University. You’ll also note small cacti and wildflowers. Mount Ogden is a peak in Weber County, Utah, United States in the northern Wasatch Range. Didi R. Ogden, UT. The trail skirts along the east side of Mount Ogden golf course and occasionally utilizes parts of the paved golf cart path. Then the trail goes north into the head of Beus Creek. Birds sang and rustled in the shrubs. Took 7+ hours. The trail then connects with a maintenance road and ascends to the peak, where a huge communications complex sits. You still walk along a ridge, but it is not as narrow nor as rocky as hiking it as a loop. From the cabin site to Mount Ogden the trail is steep, rugged, and poorly defined. East Mountain Wilderness Park. North Ogden Mountain Bike, Hike, Trail Running trails, Utah. We attempt to update every few days in the spring and fall. With more than 30 Ogden trails covering 242 miles, you’re bound to find a perfect trail like the Intermodal Hub Trail or Weber Pathways Rail Trail. The trailhead is located at the top of 4600 South, on the east side of Ogden. it was a ok but no shade up their but it's a fantastic View you need to watch out for rattlesnakes not a lot of people go up there mybe in Saturday or Sunday's. The summit's eastern face also has technical crack and face climbing routes. Hiked all the way to Mt Ogden peak and it was 12.7 mile round trip. The Peter Skene Ogden Trail was named after a trapper with the Hudson’s Bay Company who made the first recorded trip into Central Oregon in 1825, according to the Oregon Historical Society. Excellent crack and face climbing can be found. (5/16/2020) Not sure where the 6.8 miles comes from. Mount Ogden via Beus Canyon Trail is a 18.3 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. This is the second peak of the three major ones in Ogden UT. I was surprised by how much dog waste i saw uncovered along the trail and around the waterfall itself. Great hike. Ski Utah 6,378 views. The views were great though. The trail then connects with a maintenance road and ascends to the peak, where a huge communications complex sits. Sun exposure can drain you quickly on this hike. Follow the street east until the road curves south near the microwave towers. From there the trail continues along the south fork of the stream and then climbs the ridge between Beus Canyon and Birch Canyon to the south. This was a fun hike. The "normal" route to Mt. It is often referred to by locals as Ben Lomond Peak, Mt. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until August. Season June through October. Bring lots of water. Around 4 miles of nice singletrack trails within the park, mostly quite … Read more. Luckily I didn’t see any rattlesnakes but I know they’re out there! Start your review of Mount Ogden Park. Absolutely gorgeous! Ogden City Golf Courses offer a quality corporate golf experience at an affordable price for your 9 or 18-hole event. Smell kind of ruined the experience, even though it was very busy. The Ogden area offers an abundance of great hiking trails, leading to mountain-top vistas, waterfalls and other scenic attractions. Also try to start early if you can. 117 reviews. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail. The trails vary from paved parkways following the Ogden and Weber Rivers to aggressive single track perched high above the valley. This route is still a 4 mile trail, but as an out-n-back. Share review. It's a solid 11 miles RT to the peak. 37/107. Biking Trails in Ogden; Hiking Trails in Ogden; Popular Ogden Categories. It is also home to Snowbasin ski resort, the home of the 2002 Olympic downhill ski races. On the East side of the mountain is an good view of Pineview Reservoir. I wanted to do all three of them this year and so far I've got 2/3. Fantastic views at the top of Mount Ogden. Mount Ogden via Beus Canyon Trail is a 11.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. Mount Ogden Junior High. Hikers traversing the full length of the trail will go up the west face of … Pretty forested ride. Bonneville Shoreline Trail (Mt Ogden Section). Beautiful trail. View detailed trail descriptions, trail maps, reviews, photos, trail itineraries, directions and more on TrailLink. Embed review. 70 friends. Amazing hike! Any event played Monday - Thursday is eligible for a $40 green fee/cart fee rate that saves the group $4 per player. I took 3 liters, and it wasn't enough. From there, follow rock cairns to the saddle just south of Mount Ogden Peak. Ogden and Snowbasin Ski Area. Near the top gets cold amd breezy so bring proper clothing! Started in Beus canyon, went to the the peak, then took the little-traveled trail to Malan's Peak. But so windy and cold at the top and super unprepared for that. I will be doing this one again when the snow melts a bit more. Continue hiking south, following the well-signed route. 1 photo. The trail continues to climb at a steep pitch as it goes north to the head of Beus Creek. The Trailhead was difficult for me to find. The panorama is incredible, with views of the Great Salt Lake, Snow Basin ski resort, Ogden Valley, and the Wasatch Range. Moderate climbing. Tail head marker said 5.9 to saddle which is accurate. Ogden on the 3rd! Ogden is still via the Needles & Ridge Trail, but instead of heading down and around, you would head up and over. ... Close Proximity to Walking Trail; The trail continues along Beus Creek until it reaches a small meadow where the canyon forks. Rattlesnakes are very common along … SNOW TOTALS. Sardine Peak The best & most popular mountain biking trails in Ogden. The only time I've climbed the peak was via Snowbasin Ski Resort on the east side of the mountain in late summer of 1996. 8 trails If it's raining or has been in the last day, the only dry trail will typically the Bonneville Shore line north of 12th street. Middle section has a lot of brush so I recommend long pants. There's still snow on the ridge. After about 1.2 miles, the trail arrives at the 36th Street trailhead where the trail turns north. Definitely a difficult trail. All trail names have hyperlinked maps. Other alpine areas include The Mezzanines accessed via the Bonneville Shoreline Trail between 1st and 9th Streets, the prominent South Face and Southwest Ridge of Ben Lomond, and wandering lines on the east aspects of Mount Ogden, typically accessed via Snowbasin ski resort. This is my favorite winter hike!!! We hiked above Needles and took the ridgeline across to Mt Ogden. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until August. The peak is popular with hikers and can be accessed via trails in three nearby canyons: Beus, Waterfall, and Taylor Canyons. The Beus Canyon Trail is part of the Great Western Trail. We had to scramble in a few spots but it's still manageable, even without spikes. Mount Ogden Trail (via Snowbasin Gondola) is a 14.6 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Huntsville, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. TRAILS OPEN. The maintenance road is very steep, probably the steepest part of the entire trail. Soon the trail begins to descend into the Strong Canyon drainage. We loved the challenge.